- Take the ferry to Rangitoto Island. Ferry timetable + Fares. Take a ride or walk up the volcano to the top.
[http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/historic/by-region/auckland/hauraki-gulf-islands/rangitoto/ Rangitoto page http://www.rangitoto.org/ DOC's page on Rangitoto], Wikipedia , and Trip Advisor
If you feel energetic you can kayak there with Fergs Kayak or Auckland Sea Kayak. I've never used either BUT Fergs kayak may be better known as Ian Ferguson (aka Ferg) represented NZ 5 times at the Olympic Gamames in kayaking.
If you have a free day, lovely weather and you like wildlife sanctuaries, check out Tiritiri Matangi. Pack sunscreen, hat, water and a bite to eat. Wear good walking shoes.
Penguins in Auckland + NZ
- Info about Penguins in the NZ Region at Te Ara & DOC website. Te Are is NZ Encyclopaedia and DOC is NZ's Department of Conservation.
Penguins at Auckland Zoo
The little penguin (korora) (also known as the little blue penguin) is the smallest penguin in the world, standing just 25cm tall and weighing a little over 1kg. Penguin encounters on Monday, Wednesday + Friday starting at 3:30pm. These and any other encounters listed on the page are free to zoo visitors. Auckland Zoo on Twitter @aucklandzoo, Facebook and Google+
Penguins at Kelly Tarltons
Tours / Boat trips
For further information
- Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) provides more information about attractions and activities in Auckland.
- Auckland attractions and activities on the New Zealand Tourism Guide website.
- The Auckland A-Z website lists some fantastic trip ideas.