To and from the airport
Courtesy conference buses will be provided to and from Melbourne Tullamarine airport (MEL), and Avalon airport (AVV).
Please ensure that you list your flight on the Airport arrivals and departures page.
If you're arriving or departing outside of these times, you may need to make other arrangements.
- Gull Bus - goes between Geelong and Melbourne Tullamarine (MEL) airport. The nearest stop is Geelong train station, which is a 10 minute walk from the conference venue. Expect to pay around $55 for a round trip.
- Avalon Airport Shuttle - door to door service from your accommodation to or from Avalon Airport (AVV - Sydney only). Expect to pay around $45 for a round trip.
- Skybus runs a shuttle service between Melbourne Tullamarine airport (MEL) and Southern Cross Station. From there a train can be caught into Geelong.
- public transport from Melbourne Tullamarine airport (requires myki card only) - 901 bus to Broadmeadows station, metropolitan train to Southern Cross station. Then catch the train to Geelong as below.
To and from Melbourne
The VLine regional rail runs from Melbourne's Southern Cross station to Geelong every 20 minutes during peak hours, the journey takes approximately one hour.
The Geelong Station is an easy ten minute walk to Deakin Waterfront Campus.
The Waurn Ponds Station is about 3km from the Deakin Student Residences, not all trains travel to Waurn Ponds Station.
Driving from Melbourne's CBD to Geelong takes about an hour. Be aware that the route has a significant number of fixed speed cameras.
VLine train restrictions
This is mainly for those travelling from Melbourne to the conference by VLine...
If you are based in Melbourne or Victoria in general, you may have heard that V/Line's VLocity trains have been "restricted" from the Melbourne metro rail network.
Some trains are now running right into Southern Cross (aka Spencer Street) which is the Melbourne terminus for most of VLine's Melbourne train services.
As a delegate, how may this affect you?
- Those trains that are not running in and out of Melbourne will be replaced by coaches, at least for the Melbourne network section.
- If you are wanting to be in Geelong by a particular time, please allow an extra hour for your travel time.
- Check VLine's web site at https://www.vline.com.au/ for service updates and replacements.
To and from the Deakin Student Residences at Waurn Ponds
For those staying at the Deakin Student Residences at Waurn Ponds, we will be running shuttles to and from the conference venue at Deakin University Waterfront Campus, around 15km away.
It's important that you're up early in the morning in order to catch the bus to conf!
Transport around Geelong
You probably want Route 41.
The more direct bus is the Route 1 which will take you directly from Waurn Ponds to Waterfront with minimal stops.
Geelong has one main taxi company.
- Geelong Taxi Network - 131 008
Taxi ranks can be found at the northern end of the Geelong Railway Station at northern.
For those that are getting an taxi from town, go to Moorabool Street, Opposite Market Square.
Under Victorian regulations, after 10PM (or 22:00 if you prefer) Taxi Drivers have the right to ask for an estimate of the fare before the journey. If you are heading to the Deakin Student Residences in Waurn Ponds, the taxi fare will be around $25-30.
Cabcharge add a surcharge (5 or 10%, accounts vary) to taxi fares paid with credit card.
Parking is available at Deakin's Waterfront Campus for around $6 per day. The easiest way to pay for parking is via the Pay by Phone application. The Waterfront car park ID is Geelong Waterfront Campus - 10157.
Car parking is also available at the Cunningham Pier for around $10 per day.
There is free parking at Eastern Park, about 15 minutes walk to Deakin. There is a $3 shuttle bus which runs at the start and end of the working day.
Car Parking at the Residences at Waurn Ponds is NOT included in the accommodation pricing. See Accommodation for more details. The same day pass can be used across both campuses.