Phone and mobile data
There are 3 major mobile network operators in New Zealand:
- Spark (was Telecom/XT) http://www.spark.co.nz/
- Vodafone http://www.vodafone.co.nz/
- 2 degrees http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/
- Virtual network operator Skinny https://www.skinny.co.nz/
All offer pre-paid SIM cards which can be easily obtained and require no paperwork or registration.
All operators now offer 4G in limited areas, which should cover most of Auckland CBD.
- gsm 2g 900 1800 *can someone confirm these?*
- umts/3g 850, 900, 2100 *can someone confirm these?*
- lte-fd 4g 700 1800mhz *can someone confirm these?*
Note 2degrees for data only NZ$99 for 12GB. For a mix of data/calls/texting all operators offer a similar NZ$19/mth pre-paid plan with Unlimited texting, 100 calling minutes, 500MB data.
Note Vodafone Travellers SIM as for a lot of our attendees from outside of ANZ it will probably include minutes to call home. Check your countries Vodafone website
Note Skinny also does a competitive package, with $4 for a sim that comes loaded with calling time (within ANZ), texts and mobile data.
Note Spark (Telecom NZ/XT) does have 1GB data on WiFi per day across NZ starting at $29