Recreation and Fitness page
From LCA2015 Delegate wiki
Revision as of 16:03, 7 January 2015 by Lin Nah
- Tepid Baths and Parnell Baths are two Auckland City facilities that have casual rates and gym too. When I called to check, I as informed they will allow non auckland city residents to use the pools for swimming at the casual rates. So this means you don't have to be a member.
- Tepid Baths
- Web https://aucklandleisure.co.nz/locations/central/tepid-baths/
- Address: 100 Customs St W, Auckland CBD.
- Hours: Monday – Friday: 5.30am-9pm. Weekends: 7am-7pm.
- Prices page https://aucklandleisure.co.nz/membership-and-prices/#TB
- Pools pricing is per visit. When I rang to ask the adult casual rate is $6.90 per person. So price is slightly up from the website but not that much.
- Indoor pools
- Parnell Baths
- Web page http://www.clmnz.co.nz/parnellbaths/
- Outdoor pool with the view of Auckland Harbour.
- Google+ page https://plus.google.com/115758260050007186962/about?hl=en&gl=nz
- Prices http://www.clmnz.co.nz/parnellbaths/contact/rates/
- University of Auckland Recreation centre has casual workout rate for non students at $20 a day. Page with info http://www.universitysport.auckland.ac.nz/en/membership.html
- You MUST retain your receipt so you can show it at the reception/entry if you wish to go in again that same day.
- Casual rate also includes the group fitness classes.
- Operating Hrs
- Group fitness timetable for 5 Jan - 2 March 2015 or pdf file (1.9Mb)
- There is a climbing wall BUT due to Health & Safety rules, casual club members can only go up to a certain height (boulders was the term used). Given the impression that only members of the Rock & Alpine Club may be able to use the higher levels.
- Both Tepid + Parnell Baths have a gym rate. See Swimming section above for links to website
- Tepid Baths has a gym. $20.70 per day is the casual rate for pool + gym
- Parnell Baths gym + swim casual rate is $15 for an adult.
Local running/walking club/events
YMCA Marathon running club
- Website http://www.ymcamarathon.org.nz/
- Runners: Every Sunday from 7am. Get there by 6:45am for the 7am start.
- Walkers: According to the website the walkers don't start till 26 Jan.
- Starts from YMCA gym at the corner of Pitt St + Greys Ave. Map on the website or https://plus.google.com/100792633212715020109/about?hl=en
- Note: There's also a YMCA hostel nearby but it isn't the same building.
- Check the website for for more details. You run at the pace you're comfortable with. Fastest pace is sub 4:30/km down to 7:00/km pace. Distance is 21 - 33kms depending on who sets the route that day.
- It is free to join in for 2 - 3 times before they ask you to consider joining the club.
- If you bring a bag with a change of clothes + towel, you can use the showers after the run (or my friend runs home to get his shower there).
- The club secretary knows there may be some tourists joining in around lca2015 week.
Domain 10k run
- Webpage: http://www.ymcamarathon.org.nz/events/summer-10k-series/
- 10km, 6km, 3km for runners & walkers.
- When: Every Thursday during the summer daylight saving period:
- Series 2: Thursday 15 January 2015 to Thursday 02 April 2015
- Walkers start at 5:30 PM, runners start at 6:00 PM
- This is at Auckland Domain, which is almost next door to the conference centre. Google+ page for Auckland Domain: https://plus.google.com/108214945342883534590/about?hl=en&gl=nz The Band rotunda is where the map is marked for Auckland Domain when I view the map from the google+ page.
Park Run at Cornwall Park
- Webpage: http://www.parkrun.co.nz/cornwall/
- Free 5km run every Sat morning starting at 8am
- The Band Rotunda is close to the Green Lane Rd W entrance. http://www.cornwallpark.co.nz/flash/map.html + click on Band Rotunda to see where it is.
24th Annual Wharf2Wharf fun run at Waiheke Island on 17 Jan 2015
- Courses are 25k, 13K, 12K and 5K.
- Website: http://wharf2wharf.co.nz/
- There's a special ferry run from CBD to the Island in time for the start of the race.
- Read the fine print etc. The ferry terminal is within walking distance from conference venue.
- Auckland Ferry Terminal on the map https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Auckland+Ferry+Terminal/@-36.842346,174.767238,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x1d00ef62249bcde0