Difference between pages "User talk:Augur ." and "Community Leadership Summit X"

From LCA2015 Delegate wiki
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
= So much stuff isn't working here yet =
+
{{Trail|Programme|Miniconfs}}
I'm starting to think that much of the normal stuff I regularly do in other wikis is reliant on [[Special:Version|installed extensions]]. So much of what I've been trying here already, such as adding my [[User_talk:Augur_./box#Something_is_not_set_up_right_here|box template]], or altering the <nowiki>{{DISPLAYTITLE}}</nowiki> for my home page, doesn't seem to be working. I've already put in a request (via [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]]) for a list of common MediaWiki extensions to be installed here, to support some of the features I use regularly. Will have to wait and see if/when some of them get installed, whether the tricks I've been trying to use will suddenly start working. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 18:06, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
:It is not just the extensions, but some of the back-end configuration is also not set up the way I'd normally expect a wiki to be set up. For instance, the [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespacesWithSubpages $wgNamespacesWithSubpages] option has not been enabled for the Template: namespace, meaning that the normal way of documenting templates using the <nowiki>{{/doc}}</nowiki> command is unavailable. [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interwiki InterWiki] doesn't seem to have been enabled either. Also, my [[Special:Preferences|Preferences]] don't seem to have saved between sessions, so I've lost my custom signature between logins, along with my regional settings, etc. I'd really appreciate having access to the back-end of the wiki, to set some of this stuff up properly, if that's okay?  [[User:Augur .|Augur .]] ([[User talk:Augur .|talk]]) 19:19, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
:: just sent you an email. Suggest you check out previous LCA wikis to see how it is being used by the conference attendees. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 19:45, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
[[File: CLSxatLCA.jpg|right|400px]]
:::Thanks Lin, got that. Looks like the file uploads are working now. I'd still like to get some of those MW extensions installed from the list I gave you earlier. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 13:33, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
::::I'm stalled again. Much of what I want to accomplish at the moment relies heavily on [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions ParserFunctions], such as the ever-handy '''<nowiki>{{#if:}}</nowiki>''' conditional statement. Any chance that could be the first MW extension from my wishlist to be installed, please? [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 14:43, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
::::: I didn't ask for the parser function to be installed because I wanted to see what else you want installed (see below) and check them out. Also didn't think my upload problem would be resolved so quickly.[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Media Wiki extensions ==
+
Can you list the extensions you want installed or is the [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions ParserFunctions] the only extension?
+
== [https://twitter.com/hashtag/clsXlca #clsXlca] ==
It just saves time if we have a list. Before they are installed, someone needs to ensure the stuff on the list will not result in unintended consequences if used is allowed. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
:I thought you might ask. I've just created such a list [[User:Augur_./MW Extension Shoppinglist|here]]. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 16:39, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Things to look for ==
+
When? Tuesday 13th January 2015
One thing to watch out for is people creating a duplicate page due to wrong spelling/case. eg front page has Partners Programme and Partners programme both listed.
+
  
 +
Where? The University of Auckland, New Zealand.
  
Or the Attractions page is just a list of links. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
''We talk a lot about "community" in the open source world. But what does that mean? How do we keep our communities healthy? As other communities have started to learn from the way open source communities work, what can we in turn be learning from them?''
:Yeah, got that. To help me fix such issues, it would be really handy if I had some superuser tools, such as the ability to move pages. Thanks. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 16:42, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Explaining the lca2015 and other lca wikis ==
+
Inspired by the [http://www.communityleadershipsummit.com Community Leadership Summit] run each year before [http://www.oscon.com/ OSCON], Donna Benjamin will convene CLSx at LCA to bring together community leaders, organisers and managers and the projects and organisations that are interested in growing and empowering a strong community. We invite the leading minds in community management, relations and online collaboration to discuss, debate and continue to refine the art of building an effective and capable community.
  
Looking at your mediawiki extension shopping/wish list, I think some stuff should have been explained sooner and I was going to do this way back when I was looking for someone to help with the wiki.
+
As an open unconference-style event, everyone who attends is welcome to lead and contribute sessions on any relevant topic.  
  
* User accounts
+
The Community Leadership Summit began in 2009 in Portland, Oregon, USA, and has grown to be a key fixture on the open source event calendar. CLS was conceived and is organised each year by Jono Bacon. He is now Senior Director of Community at XPRIZE, and formerly community manager for the global Ubuntu community and author of [http://www.artofcommunityonline.org/ The Art of Community] by O’Reilly.  
** Users can't create an account to edit in the linux.conf.au wiki.
+
** The only users who can edit the wiki are users who have signed up on the lca2015 website and that account is used for signing up in this wiki. That is why you couldn't create an account in this wiki when you first tried a few weeks ago, shortly after my email asking for help on wiki.
+
** All users who edit the wiki have agreed to the lca2015 code of conduct and the terms & conditions.
+
** This means your extensions for vandals, and the next list below it isn't needed.
+
  
* Use of wiki
+
Jono started the summit as a first step in helping community managers and leaders to define and refine their work, share knowledge and make connections in a vendor neutral way. And now, CLS is going global. CLSx events are local CLS style events that happen in locations around the world.  
** The wiki will start to be used more and more the closer we get to the conference. I haven't kept track of how the previous wikis have grown or looked at how often they are used.
+
** After the conference there may be an edit or two to add links to stuff. For example if someone offered to find out about x, they may put the link to the info there etc.
+
** Presenters may also edit it to add links to where the slides are for talks or where the talk videos are.
+
** Attendees sometimes add links to their photos.
+
** The amount of edits and even views on the wiki drops off after conference week.
+
  
* If you need to link to lca2015 website, please always use the url with lca2015.linux.org.au. This means when the wiki is archived, along with website, links to the lca2015 website should still work.
+
Find out more about CLS: http://www.communityleadershipsummit.com/about/
  
Sorry will have to go now. will add more later
 
  
 +
== Topics for Discussion ==
  
[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 19:06, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
Here are a few topics discussed at previous CLS events
  
:Wow, a wiki without the threat of vandals! That will certainly make my life simpler. Thanks for explaining that Lin. Much of my former experience with wiki work has been in defeating spam, carefully patrolling user edits, and defeating spam, with a little bit of templating and categorizing thrown in for good measure, and defeating more spam. I'm looking forward to this spam-free environment. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 19:20, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
* Burnout
 +
* Conflict resolution
 +
* Career opportunities
 +
* Diversity
 +
* Documentation
 +
* Event management
 +
* Governance
 +
* Metrics
 +
* Social media
  
* Media like Video on lca wikis
+
( For more info check out the CL forum - http://www.communityleadershipforum.com/categories )
** No videos or sound files are uploaded to the wiki
+
** There will be links to videos + sound files so people know where they are. These are videos of talks or other videos.
+
** Videos are uploaded somewhere like youtube (or vimeo).
+
** The links to those videos are wiki'd so people know where they are. Also aren't always able to put the links on the conference website because the people who are able to update the lca conference site are usually too busy during the conference.
+
** Also won't be unusal if there's a server on campus with the video files so people who wish to down the vids before they head home may do so.
+
** There is also a final repository for all the vids.
+
** I don't think it is wise to have people run videos off the wiki. using youtube for videos means they use another network's infrastructure to cope with space + network.
+
  
* Uses of wiki at linux.conf.au
 
** Wiki to help organise events, both official + unofficial.
 
*** If a miniconf or tutorial needs a webpage, they are advised to use the wiki. If they don't wish to use the wiki, there'll be a link from the wiki to the actual miniconf/tutorial webpage. See the current miniconfs page as example. The Open Radio and Astronomy miniconfs are using the wiki for their page. The Sysadmin miniconf and open hardware miniconf have their own page.
 
*** BOFs - Birds of a feather sessions are organised via wiki. This could be BOFs that happen at the scheduled time + place for BOFs or at other times. There's also activity like Yoga, martial arts, running that have BOFs.
 
*** organising social events with other lca attendees. eg lca2014 had an outing to an Indian Ocean swim. There was a whiskey BOF that may or may not have been wiki'd at lca2011 (can't remember). Looks like there's a plan Auckland - Wellington rail trip.
 
*** unPDNS - This is for people who are not going to the Penguin dinner. There's other evenings too and people organise something for that.
 
*** As you see, the Partner's programme has a page in the wiki.
 
  
** Wiki as repository of information useful to conference attendees
+
=== What should we cover during CLSx@LCA ? ===
*** This is already happening but may need some help with. I am not sure if anyone is coordinating the stuff. Thing like what mobile networks we have, what sort of plugs + votage for electricity, where to go for emergency info.
+
*** where to eat, drink, play while they are at the conference.  Much of this is by conference attendees.
+
*** what logos of badge mean
+
*** Swag - usually one of the attendees lists out the swag they receive + others add to it. some even take a pic + link to pic. This is mostly done by attendees.
+
 
+
 
+
** Wiki as source of link to info useful to conference attendees.
+
*** links to video, slides, github repos for talks or even for stuff someone is talking about at a BOF or think someon at the conference may find useful.
+
*** Attendees sometimes add a link to where their lca photo album is.
+
 
+
 
+
[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 22:28, 10 December 2014 (AEDT)
+

Revision as of 23:29, 24 December 2014

< Main Page < Programme < Miniconfs


CLSxatLCA.jpg


#clsXlca

When? Tuesday 13th January 2015

Where? The University of Auckland, New Zealand.

We talk a lot about "community" in the open source world. But what does that mean? How do we keep our communities healthy? As other communities have started to learn from the way open source communities work, what can we in turn be learning from them?

Inspired by the Community Leadership Summit run each year before OSCON, Donna Benjamin will convene CLSx at LCA to bring together community leaders, organisers and managers and the projects and organisations that are interested in growing and empowering a strong community. We invite the leading minds in community management, relations and online collaboration to discuss, debate and continue to refine the art of building an effective and capable community.

As an open unconference-style event, everyone who attends is welcome to lead and contribute sessions on any relevant topic.

The Community Leadership Summit began in 2009 in Portland, Oregon, USA, and has grown to be a key fixture on the open source event calendar. CLS was conceived and is organised each year by Jono Bacon. He is now Senior Director of Community at XPRIZE, and formerly community manager for the global Ubuntu community and author of The Art of Community by O’Reilly.

Jono started the summit as a first step in helping community managers and leaders to define and refine their work, share knowledge and make connections in a vendor neutral way. And now, CLS is going global. CLSx events are local CLS style events that happen in locations around the world.

Find out more about CLS: http://www.communityleadershipsummit.com/about/


Topics for Discussion

Here are a few topics discussed at previous CLS events

  • Burnout
  • Conflict resolution
  • Career opportunities
  • Diversity
  • Documentation
  • Event management
  • Governance
  • Metrics
  • Social media

( For more info check out the CL forum - http://www.communityleadershipforum.com/categories )


What should we cover during CLSx@LCA ?