Recreation and Fitness page
From LCA2015 Delegate wiki
Revision as of 14:31, 6 January 2015 by Lin Nah
Local running/walking club/events
YMCA Marathon running club
- Website http://www.ymcamarathon.org.nz/
- Runners: Every Sunday from 7am. Get there by 6:45am for the 7am start.
- Walkers: According to the website the walkers don't start till 26 Jan.
- Starts from YMCA gym at the corner of Pitt St + Greys Ave. Map on the website or https://plus.google.com/100792633212715020109/about?hl=en
- Note: There's also a YMCA hostel nearby but it isn't the same building.
- Check the website for for more details. You run at the pace you're comfortable with. Fastest pace is sub 4:30/km down to 7:00/km pace. Distance is 21 - 33kms depending on who sets the route that day.
- It is free to join in for 2 - 3 times before they ask you to consider joining the club.
- If you bring a bag with a change of clothes + towel, you can use the showers after the run (or my friend runs home to get his shower there).
- The club secretary knows there may be some tourists joining in around lca2015 week.
Domain 10k run
- Webpage: http://www.ymcamarathon.org.nz/events/summer-10k-series/
- 10km, 6km, 3km for runners & walkers.
- When: Every Thursday during the summer daylight saving period:
- Series 2: Thursday 15 January 2015 to Thursday 02 April 2015
- Walkers start at 5:30 PM, runners start at 6:00 PM
- This is at Auckland Domain, which is almost next door to the conference centre. Google+ page for Auckland Domain: https://plus.google.com/108214945342883534590/about?hl=en&gl=nz The Band rotunda is where the map is marked for Auckland Domain when I view the map from the google+ page.
Park Run at Cornwall Park
- Webpage: http://www.parkrun.co.nz/cornwall/
- Free 5km run every Sat morning starting at 8am
- The Band Rotunda is close to the Green Lane Rd W entrance. http://www.cornwallpark.co.nz/flash/map.html + click on Band Rotunda to see where it is.
24th Annual Wharf2Wharf fun run at Waiheke Island on 17 Jan 2015
- Courses are 25k, 13K, 12K and 5K.
- Website: http://wharf2wharf.co.nz/
- There's a special ferry run from CBD to the Island in time for the start of the race.
- Read the fine print etc. The ferry terminal is within walking distance from conference venue.
- Auckland Ferry Terminal on the map https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Auckland+Ferry+Terminal/@-36.842346,174.767238,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x1d00ef62249bcde0