Difference between pages "User talk:Augur ." and "Open Radio Miniconf"

From LCA2015 Delegate wiki
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
(10:40-12:20 Rx + Build session)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
= So much stuff isn't working here yet =
+
{{Trail|Programme|Miniconfs}}
I'm starting to think that much of the normal stuff I regularly do in other wikis is reliant on [[Special:Version|installed extensions]]. So much of what I've been trying here already, such as adding my [[User_talk:Augur_./box#Something_is_not_set_up_right_here|box template]], or altering the <nowiki>{{DISPLAYTITLE}}</nowiki> for my home page, doesn't seem to be working. I've already put in a request (via [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]]) for a list of common MediaWiki extensions to be installed here, to support some of the features I use regularly. Will have to wait and see if/when some of them get installed, whether the tricks I've been trying to use will suddenly start working. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 18:06, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
:It is not just the extensions, but some of the back-end configuration is also not set up the way I'd normally expect a wiki to be set up. For instance, the [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespacesWithSubpages $wgNamespacesWithSubpages] option has not been enabled for the Template: namespace, meaning that the normal way of documenting templates using the <nowiki>{{/doc}}</nowiki> command is unavailable. [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interwiki InterWiki] doesn't seem to have been enabled either. Also, my [[Special:Preferences|Preferences]] don't seem to have saved between sessions, so I've lost my custom signature between logins, along with my regional settings, etc. I'd really appreciate having access to the back-end of the wiki, to set some of this stuff up properly, if that's okay?  [[User:Augur .|Augur .]] ([[User talk:Augur .|talk]]) 19:19, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
:: just sent you an email. Suggest you check out previous LCA wikis to see how it is being used by the conference attendees. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 19:45, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
== Miniconf Program ==
:::Thanks Lin, got that. Looks like the file uploads are working now. I'd still like to get some of those MW extensions installed from the list I gave you earlier. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 13:33, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
::::I'm stalled again. Much of what I want to accomplish at the moment relies heavily on [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions ParserFunctions], such as the ever-handy '''<nowiki>{{#if:}}</nowiki>''' conditional statement. Any chance that could be the first MW extension from my wishlist to be installed, please? [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 14:43, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
::::: I didn't ask for the parser function to be installed because I wanted to see what else you want installed (see below) and check them out. Also didn't think my upload problem would be resolved so quickly.[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Media Wiki extensions ==
+
Here is the draft of the program for the miniconf. No doubt we will change the build sessions around a little bit.
Can you list the extensions you want installed or is the [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions ParserFunctions] the only extension?
+
Also we hope to add a few more lightning talks closer to the day.
It just saves time if we have a list. Before they are installed, someone needs to ensure the stuff on the list will not result in unintended consequences if used is allowed. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
:I thought you might ask. I've just created such a list [[User:Augur_./MW Extension Shoppinglist|here]]. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 16:39, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Things to look for ==
+
=== 10:40-12:15 OpenRadio Introduction + Build session ===
One thing to watch out for is people creating a duplicate page due to wrong spelling/case. eg front page has Partners Programme and Partners programme both listed.
+
  
 +
* Intro to OpenRadio
 +
* Groking the building blocks
 +
* Intro to through hole and surface moung soldering
 +
* Build!
  
Or the Attractions page is just a list of links. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
=== 10:40-12:20 Rx + Build session ===
:Yeah, got that. To help me fix such issues, it would be really handy if I had some superuser tools, such as the ability to move pages. Thanks. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 16:42, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Explaining the lca2015 and other lca wikis ==
+
* Receive block theory
 +
* Get your head around the software; fldigi & spectrograms
 +
* Build!
  
Looking at your mediawiki extension shopping/wish list, I think some stuff should have been explained sooner and I was going to do this way back when I was looking for someone to help with the wiki.
+
=== 13:20-15:00 Tx + Build session ===
  
* User accounts
+
* Regulations
** Users can't create an account to edit in the linux.conf.au wiki.
+
* Transmitter blocks and Modulation schemes
** The only users who can edit the wiki are users who have signed up on the lca2015 website and that account is used for signing up in this wiki. That is why you couldn't create an account in this wiki when you first tried a few weeks ago, shortly after my email asking for help on wiki.
+
* Understanding what modes the OpenRadio can send
** All users who edit the wiki have agreed to the lca2015 code of conduct and the terms & conditions.
+
* Build!
** This means your extensions for vandals, and the next list below it isn't needed.
+
  
* Use of wiki
+
=== 15:40-17:15 OpenRadio Lightning talks ===
** The wiki will start to be used more and more the closer we get to the conference. I haven't kept track of how the previous wikis have grown or looked at how often they are used.
+
** After the conference there may be an edit or two to add links to stuff. For example if someone offered to find out about x, they may put the link to the info there etc.
+
** Presenters may also edit it to add links to where the slides are for talks or where the talk videos are.
+
** Attendees sometimes add links to their photos.
+
** The amount of edits and even views on the wiki drops off after conference week.
+
  
* If you need to link to lca2015 website, please always use the url with lca2015.linux.org.au. This means when the wiki is archived, along with website, links to the lca2015 website should still work.
+
* Paul Warren - Open amateur transceivers
 +
* Don Wallace - Where do these radio frequencies come
 +
from and how do I get to use them?
 +
* Kim Hawtin - RF in and RF out, your first antennas
  
Sorry will have to go now. will add more later
+
== OpenRadio Miniconf registrations ==
  
 +
Good morning all,
  
[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 19:06, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
So now would be a good time to open up the registration for the OpenRadio MiniConf. This is also a good time as a reminder that the CfP for the miniconf will be closing on the 14th of December.
  
:Wow, a wiki without the threat of vandals! That will certainly make my life simpler. Thanks for explaining that Lin. Much of my former experience with wiki work has been in defeating spam, carefully patrolling user edits, and defeating spam, with a little bit of templating and categorizing thrown in for good measure, and defeating more spam. I'm looking forward to this spam-free environment. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 19:20, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
As part of the registration you are booking a seat and a kit for the OpenRadio miniconf.
  
* Media like Video on lca wikis
+
Since this is our first build'a'thon at LCA we are setting a limit on seats to 30. We are aiming to dedicate enough time to each of the participants to complete the kit on the day.
** No videos or sound files are uploaded to the wiki
+
** There will be links to videos + sound files so people know where they are. These are videos of talks or other videos.
+
** Videos are uploaded somewhere like youtube (or vimeo).
+
** The links to those videos are wiki'd so people know where they are. Also aren't always able to put the links on the conference website because the people who are able to update the lca conference site are usually too busy during the conference.
+
** Also won't be unusal if there's a server on campus with the video files so people who wish to down the vids before they head home may do so.
+
** There is also a final repository for all the vids.
+
** I don't think it is wise to have people run videos off the wiki. using youtube for videos means they use another network's infrastructure to cope with space + network.  
+
  
* Uses of wiki at linux.conf.au
+
The whole day will be devoted to building the understanding the kit.
** Wiki to help organise events, both official + unofficial.
+
As we have limited seats, please order only one kit.
*** If a miniconf or tutorial needs a webpage, they are advised to use the wiki. If they don't wish to use the wiki, there'll be a link from the wiki to the actual miniconf/tutorial webpage. See the current miniconfs page as example. The Open Radio and Astronomy miniconfs are using the wiki for their page. The Sysadmin miniconf and open hardware miniconf have their own page.
+
*** BOFs - Birds of a feather sessions are organised via wiki. This could be BOFs that happen at the scheduled time + place for BOFs or at other times. There's also activity like Yoga, martial arts, running that have BOFs.
+
*** organising social events with other lca attendees. eg lca2014 had an outing to an Indian Ocean swim. There was a whiskey BOF that may or may not have been wiki'd at lca2011 (can't remember). Looks like there's a plan Auckland - Wellington rail trip.
+
*** unPDNS - This is for people who are not going to the Penguin dinner. There's other evenings too and people organise something for that.
+
*** As you see, the Partner's programme has a page in the wiki.
+
  
** Wiki as repository of information useful to conference attendees
+
Extra kits will be made available after the conference.
*** This is already happening but may need some help with. I am not sure if anyone is coordinating the stuff. Thing like what mobile networks we have, what sort of plugs + votage for electricity, where to go for emergency info.
+
*** where to eat, drink, play while they are at the conference.  Much of this is by conference attendees.
+
*** what logos of badge mean
+
*** Swag - usually one of the attendees lists out the swag they receive + others add to it. some even take a pic + link to pic. This is mostly done by attendees.
+
  
 +
Because of the time lines, we will be ordering kits in advance and will deliver them directly at the miniconf.
  
** Wiki as source of link to info useful to conference attendees.
+
To register please head to Davids site;
*** links to video, slides, github repos for talks or even for stuff someone is talking about at a BOF or think someon at the conference may find useful.
+
  http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=3780#cart
*** Attendees sometimes add a link to where their lca photo album is.  
+
  
 +
For further information please email me at;
 +
  vk5fj@wia.org.au
  
[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 22:28, 10 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
 
 +
== OpenRadio Miniconf Call for Presentations at LCA2015 ==
 +
=== Submission Dates ===
 +
 
 +
Sunday 14th December 2014: Deadline for submissions
 +
Sunday 21st December 2014: Announcements of selected proposals
 +
Monday 12th January 2015: Open Radio Miniconf
 +
 
 +
=== 'No pressure' policy ===
 +
The Open Radio Miniconf is a low-pressure event, and we strongly encourage anyone who has an idea for an radio-related talk to submit a proposal even if you've never presented at a conference before. Please share this CfP with anyone you know who may otherwise not consider submitting a proposal.
 +
 
 +
=== Commitment to Diversity ===
 +
We are especially keen to present a diverse range of experiences and voices, and actively encourage women and people from other groups that are frequently under-represented at tech events to submit a proposal. Please share this CfP with anyone you know who may fit with this objective.
 +
 
 +
=== Suggested Presentation Topics ===
 +
 
 +
Any topic which is related to both radio and open source technologies is considered on-topic for the Open Radio Miniconf.
 +
 
 +
Some ideas include:
 +
 
 +
* Hardware for SDR
 +
* Software for SDR
 +
* Protocols over the air
 +
* Digital voice
 +
* Understandning data modes
 +
* Encoding and Decoding data
 +
* Logging data or voice
 +
* Positioning
 +
* Radio direction finding
 +
* Here's a cool thing I did with my SDR
 +
* Take a look at my new modem for digital modes
 +
* Simple data links with cheap radio chips
 +
 
 +
=== Presentation Format ===
 +
Presentations will be 'lightning talks' session with multiple 5-15 minute mini-presentations. Ideally we would like to see proposals for longer lightning talks, you can also just present on the day (this is a very low-pressure way to ease yourself into presenting, so please have a think in advance about what you'd like to present).
 +
 
 +
=== Need some help? ===
 +
If you have an idea (or the beginning of an idea) for a presentation for the Open Radio Miniconf, we'd be very happy to talk it through with you to help you develop it further. Email Kim VK5FJ at vk5fj@wia.org.au or ping him at @vk5fj on Twitter to start the conversation.
 +
 
 +
=== Code of Conduct ===
 +
Anyone presenting at the Open Miniconf is bound by the same Code of Conduct as presenters and conference attendees of the main conference. The full LCA2015 Code of Conduct is at http://linux.conf.au/cor/code_of_conduct
 +
 
 +
To help ensure that presentations comply with the Code of Conduct, we require presenters to submit a copy of their presentation/slide deck for review by Monday 5th January, 2015 (one week prior to the start of LCA).
 +
 
 +
=== Presenter Responsibilities ===
 +
Presenters at the Open Radio Miniconf must be registered attendees of the main LCA2015 conference. Presenters are responsible for their own conference registration, travel, and accommodation costs. The LCA2015 committee has made available a small number of miniconf-only passes that we will be using to enable Amateur Radio enthusiasts to present who would not otherwise be able to attend.
 +
 
 +
=== How to Submit Proposals ===
 +
 
 +
Please submit your proposal(s) by email Kim VK5FJ at vk5fj@wia.org.au
 +
We encourage you to submit multiple proposals if you have multiple ideas.
 +
 
 +
72,
 +
 
 +
Kim VK5FJ
 +
Open Radio Miniconf Net Operator
 +
 
 +
== Attendees ==
 +
 
 +
Please add a page for yourself and link it here so we can get an idea of numbers and notify you of updates.
 +
 
 +
* Name - Callsign, if you have one
 +
* Kim Hawtin, VK5FJ
 +
* [[User:George Patterson|George Patterson]] VK3FADQ
 +
* [[User:Peter Chubb|Peter Chubb]] VK2FPC (will be multiplexing with Kernel miniconf)
 +
* [[User:Paul Warren|Paul Warren]] VK1ATP
 +
* [[User:Peter Howard|Peter Howard]]
 +
* Amitay Isaacs
 +
* Peter Lawler
 +
* [[User:Nathan Willis|Nate Willis]]
 +
* Andrew Mc (buildathon, then various)
 +
* [[User:Gabriel Noronha|Gabriel Noronha]]
 +
* [[User: Joshua Scott|Joshua Scott]]
 +
* [mailto:mike.carden@gmail.com Mike Carden] VK1MC
 +
* Josh Mesilane, VK3XJM
 +
* Bob Edwards
 +
* Simon Paterson
 +
* Michael Wheeler
 +
* Geordie Millar
 +
* Giovanni Moretti - ZL2GX
 +
* [[User: Jack Moffitt|Jack Moffitt]]
 +
 
 +
== Aims ==
 +
 
 +
This will be the second Open Radio Miniconf, this time part build-a-thon, part lightning talks.
 +
 
 +
There are three specific aims for this coming LCA, the three layers;
 +
 
 +
1) Build an understanding of radio and build an SDR transceiver to cover an ISM band and the HAM HF bands.
 +
 
 +
2) Build an understanding of the software required to Rx and Tx
 +
 
 +
3) Encourage software developers to study existing over the air protocols and start to design new ones.
 +
 
 +
That might not sound like a lot, but we still have a big challenge to complete the second goal. The third is obviously ongoing and we hope to be able to help facilitate new works on the ISM and HAM bands.
 +
 
 +
Mark VK5QI has decided that his experience with the [http://www.norcalqrp.org/files/Tayloe_mixer_x3a.pdf Tayloe mixer] with [http://www.qsl.net/zl1wtt/I&Q.htm  I&Q] as used in the SoftRocks is firm ground on which to build. He has been inspired by [http://nt7s.com/2014/06/a-prototype-for-a-si5351-based-ssb-rig/ some new SSB project by NT7S], using a newly available DDS, the multiple output [https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=SI5351&b=1 SI5351]. Completing the picture, the controller is the well known [http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardNano Arduino], designed by Massimo Banzi (check the recent [http://soldersmoke.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/soldersmoke-podcast-165-arduinos.html soldersmoke podcast #165]).
 +
 
 +
So moving forward the second prototype is currently on the workbend at Marks QTH. The software stack, while complex can be simplified to using existing applications like [http://w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html FLDIGI] or building the [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Radio GNU Radio][http://gnuradio.squarespace.com/ stack].
 +
 
 +
Following on the the how in the now, we need to look forward. Thinking about the existing protocols, the current ways of encoding data on the wire and over the air, we are aiming to approach the design of new over the air protocols.
 +
 
 +
We are currently working through the materials for the build-a-thon. Once we are happy with them we will update this page and put an announcement here.

Revision as of 19:42, 5 January 2015

< Main Page < Programme < Miniconfs


Miniconf Program

Here is the draft of the program for the miniconf. No doubt we will change the build sessions around a little bit. Also we hope to add a few more lightning talks closer to the day.

10:40-12:15 OpenRadio Introduction + Build session

  • Intro to OpenRadio
  • Groking the building blocks
  • Intro to through hole and surface moung soldering
  • Build!

10:40-12:20 Rx + Build session

  • Receive block theory
  • Get your head around the software; fldigi & spectrograms
  • Build!

13:20-15:00 Tx + Build session

  • Regulations
  • Transmitter blocks and Modulation schemes
  • Understanding what modes the OpenRadio can send
  • Build!

15:40-17:15 OpenRadio Lightning talks

  • Paul Warren - Open amateur transceivers
  • Don Wallace - Where do these radio frequencies come

from and how do I get to use them?

  • Kim Hawtin - RF in and RF out, your first antennas

OpenRadio Miniconf registrations

Good morning all,

So now would be a good time to open up the registration for the OpenRadio MiniConf. This is also a good time as a reminder that the CfP for the miniconf will be closing on the 14th of December.

As part of the registration you are booking a seat and a kit for the OpenRadio miniconf.

Since this is our first build'a'thon at LCA we are setting a limit on seats to 30. We are aiming to dedicate enough time to each of the participants to complete the kit on the day.

The whole day will be devoted to building the understanding the kit. As we have limited seats, please order only one kit.

Extra kits will be made available after the conference.

Because of the time lines, we will be ordering kits in advance and will deliver them directly at the miniconf.

To register please head to Davids site;

 http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=3780#cart

For further information please email me at;

 vk5fj@wia.org.au


OpenRadio Miniconf Call for Presentations at LCA2015

Submission Dates

Sunday 14th December 2014: Deadline for submissions Sunday 21st December 2014: Announcements of selected proposals Monday 12th January 2015: Open Radio Miniconf

'No pressure' policy

The Open Radio Miniconf is a low-pressure event, and we strongly encourage anyone who has an idea for an radio-related talk to submit a proposal even if you've never presented at a conference before. Please share this CfP with anyone you know who may otherwise not consider submitting a proposal.

Commitment to Diversity

We are especially keen to present a diverse range of experiences and voices, and actively encourage women and people from other groups that are frequently under-represented at tech events to submit a proposal. Please share this CfP with anyone you know who may fit with this objective.

Suggested Presentation Topics

Any topic which is related to both radio and open source technologies is considered on-topic for the Open Radio Miniconf.

Some ideas include:

  • Hardware for SDR
  • Software for SDR
  • Protocols over the air
  • Digital voice
  • Understandning data modes
  • Encoding and Decoding data
  • Logging data or voice
  • Positioning
  • Radio direction finding
  • Here's a cool thing I did with my SDR
  • Take a look at my new modem for digital modes
  • Simple data links with cheap radio chips

Presentation Format

Presentations will be 'lightning talks' session with multiple 5-15 minute mini-presentations. Ideally we would like to see proposals for longer lightning talks, you can also just present on the day (this is a very low-pressure way to ease yourself into presenting, so please have a think in advance about what you'd like to present).

Need some help?

If you have an idea (or the beginning of an idea) for a presentation for the Open Radio Miniconf, we'd be very happy to talk it through with you to help you develop it further. Email Kim VK5FJ at vk5fj@wia.org.au or ping him at @vk5fj on Twitter to start the conversation.

Code of Conduct

Anyone presenting at the Open Miniconf is bound by the same Code of Conduct as presenters and conference attendees of the main conference. The full LCA2015 Code of Conduct is at http://linux.conf.au/cor/code_of_conduct

To help ensure that presentations comply with the Code of Conduct, we require presenters to submit a copy of their presentation/slide deck for review by Monday 5th January, 2015 (one week prior to the start of LCA).

Presenter Responsibilities

Presenters at the Open Radio Miniconf must be registered attendees of the main LCA2015 conference. Presenters are responsible for their own conference registration, travel, and accommodation costs. The LCA2015 committee has made available a small number of miniconf-only passes that we will be using to enable Amateur Radio enthusiasts to present who would not otherwise be able to attend.

How to Submit Proposals

Please submit your proposal(s) by email Kim VK5FJ at vk5fj@wia.org.au We encourage you to submit multiple proposals if you have multiple ideas.

72,

Kim VK5FJ Open Radio Miniconf Net Operator

Attendees

Please add a page for yourself and link it here so we can get an idea of numbers and notify you of updates.

Aims

This will be the second Open Radio Miniconf, this time part build-a-thon, part lightning talks.

There are three specific aims for this coming LCA, the three layers;

1) Build an understanding of radio and build an SDR transceiver to cover an ISM band and the HAM HF bands.

2) Build an understanding of the software required to Rx and Tx

3) Encourage software developers to study existing over the air protocols and start to design new ones.

That might not sound like a lot, but we still have a big challenge to complete the second goal. The third is obviously ongoing and we hope to be able to help facilitate new works on the ISM and HAM bands.

Mark VK5QI has decided that his experience with the Tayloe mixer with I&Q as used in the SoftRocks is firm ground on which to build. He has been inspired by some new SSB project by NT7S, using a newly available DDS, the multiple output SI5351. Completing the picture, the controller is the well known Arduino, designed by Massimo Banzi (check the recent soldersmoke podcast #165).

So moving forward the second prototype is currently on the workbend at Marks QTH. The software stack, while complex can be simplified to using existing applications like FLDIGI or building the GNU Radiostack.

Following on the the how in the now, we need to look forward. Thinking about the existing protocols, the current ways of encoding data on the wire and over the air, we are aiming to approach the design of new over the air protocols.

We are currently working through the materials for the build-a-thon. Once we are happy with them we will update this page and put an announcement here.