Difference between revisions of "User talk:Augur ."

From LCA2015 Delegate wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(more about the wiki)
(Carpooling: reply)
 
(29 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
= So much stuff isn't working here yet =
+
== Archive/subpages ==
I'm starting to think that much of the normal stuff I regularly do in other wikis is reliant on [[Special:Version|installed extensions]]. So much of what I've been trying here already, such as adding my [[User_talk:Augur_./box#Something_is_not_set_up_right_here|box template]], or altering the <nowiki>{{DISPLAYTITLE}}</nowiki> for my home page, doesn't seem to be working. I've already put in a request (via [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]]) for a list of common MediaWiki extensions to be installed here, to support some of the features I use regularly. Will have to wait and see if/when some of them get installed, whether the tricks I've been trying to use will suddenly start working. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 18:06, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
:It is not just the extensions, but some of the back-end configuration is also not set up the way I'd normally expect a wiki to be set up. For instance, the [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgNamespacesWithSubpages $wgNamespacesWithSubpages] option has not been enabled for the Template: namespace, meaning that the normal way of documenting templates using the <nowiki>{{/doc}}</nowiki> command is unavailable. [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interwiki InterWiki] doesn't seem to have been enabled either. Also, my [[Special:Preferences|Preferences]] don't seem to have saved between sessions, so I've lost my custom signature between logins, along with my regional settings, etc. I'd really appreciate having access to the back-end of the wiki, to set some of this stuff up properly, if that's okay?  [[User:Augur .|Augur .]] ([[User talk:Augur .|talk]]) 19:19, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
:: just sent you an email. Suggest you check out previous LCA wikis to see how it is being used by the conference attendees. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 19:45, 8 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
* [[/Discussion with LinNah | Discussion between Lin Nah and Augur]] - mostly related to matters about the lca2015 wiki.
:::Thanks Lin, got that. Looks like the file uploads are working now. I'd still like to get some of those MW extensions installed from the list I gave you earlier. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 13:33, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
* [[/Info for lca2015 wiki | Links + Info for lca2015 wiki]] - page listing links and information to be added to the wiki.
::::I'm stalled again. Much of what I want to accomplish at the moment relies heavily on [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions ParserFunctions], such as the ever-handy '''<nowiki>{{#if:}}</nowiki>''' conditional statement. Any chance that could be the first MW extension from my wishlist to be installed, please? [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 14:43, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
::::: I didn't ask for the parser function to be installed because I wanted to see what else you want installed (see below) and check them out. Also didn't think my upload problem would be resolved so quickly.[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Media Wiki extensions ==
+
Moved my discussions with you off to another page so you can use this for your talk page. I suggest watching the 2 pages above for changes.  The 2nd page will be where I leave links for you to put up on the wiki. I don't think I'll need more sub pages but if I do, I'll add to the above list. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 22:42, 14 December 2014 (AEDT)
Can you list the extensions you want installed or is the [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions ParserFunctions] the only extension?
+
It just saves time if we have a list. Before they are installed, someone needs to ensure the stuff on the list will not result in unintended consequences if used is allowed. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
:I thought you might ask. I've just created such a list [[User:Augur_./MW Extension Shoppinglist|here]]. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 16:39, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Things to look for ==
+
:Sorry Lin, I think we're going to have a problem here. I think it is best if you and I and a third party, such as Cherie, have a face-to-face meetup urgently to discuss some boundaries. [[User:Augur .|Augur .]] ([[User talk:Augur .|talk]]) 05:21, 15 December 2014 (AEDT)
One thing to watch out for is people creating a duplicate page due to wrong spelling/case. eg front page has Partners Programme and Partners programme both listed.  
+
  
 +
:: Sorry Augur. I shouldn't have done that. Would it helpf if I revert the edits and return the content back to this talk page? I was merely trying to keep things tidy rather than overstepping my bounds. In retrospect I should have let you do that since it is your talk page and not mine. Again I didn't think of that when I did it. Just wanted 2 areas - one to talk about the wiki and another to leave links and came up with creating 2 pages. My apologies  [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 18:33, 15 December 2014 (AEDT)
  
Or the Attractions page is just a list of links. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 16:32, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
::: Thanks for that Lin. No need to revert the changes now. I probably would have done something similar soon enough anyway. As you can see, [[Special:PrefixIndex/User:Augur_.|my userspace]] is being well used for lists and ideas to help create pages of useful info in the main namespace. However, I am concerned that you've archived discussions that were still incomplete. For instance, in reply to your thread [[/Discussion_with_LinNah#Things_to_look_for|Things to look for]], I mentioned that I'll be needing some superuser (administrator?) abilities if I am to move/rename pages on the wiki. Threads that are still under active discussion don't normally get archived, even by the named userpace user. I guess we could continue those conversations ''in situ''. This isn't Wikipedia after all, where archives are generally inviolate. [[User:Augur .|Augur .]] ([[User talk:Augur .|talk]]) 19:40, 15 December 2014 (AEDT)
:Yeah, got that. To help me fix such issues, it would be really handy if I had some superuser tools, such as the ability to move pages. Thanks. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 16:42, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
  
== Explaining the lca2015 and other lca wikis ==
+
:::: Thanks for being so understanding. I am sure I would have been annoyed myself if it had happened to my talk page in wikipedia because it would be as if someone archived my talked page. It has been my intention to continue discussions there and to catch up with what I insufficiently or didn't reply to. I didn't create those pages to archive the talks. It was to move them somewhere so I didn't mix up the links from the discussion about the wiki. Unfortunately I lacked the energy and did end up going to sleep shortly after creating those pages and did nothing else since. [[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 19:53, 15 December 2014 (AEDT)
  
Looking at your mediawiki extension shopping/wish list, I think some stuff should have been explained sooner and I was going to do this way back when I was looking for someone to help with the wiki.
+
== Carpooling ==
  
* User accounts
+
I'll be coming in from Avondale. Haven't decided how yet, but will check in re carpooling closer to the conference.--[[User:David Moore|David Moore]] ([[User talk:David Moore|talk]]) 05:53, 14 December 2014 (AEDT)
** Users can't create an account to edit in the linux.conf.au wiki.
+
: I see now you are in Henderson? I think I will just make my own way in.  Probably easier. Thanks for offering to carpool though. --[[User:David Moore|David Moore]] ([[User talk:David Moore|talk]]) 05:43, 7 January 2015 (AEDT)
** The only users who can edit the wiki are users who have signed up on the lca2015 website and that account is used for signing up in this wiki. That is why you couldn't create an account in this wiki when you first tried a few weeks ago, shortly after my email asking for help on wiki.
+
::No problems David, I was thinking of traveling along great North Road each day to the City, but if there is anyone wanting a lift from Sunset Lodge Motel as part of [[Augur's Affordable Accomodation - West Auckland|my little accom/commute package]], then it would make more sense to hop onto the Northwestern Motorway at Te Atatu. If you want a ride home at night after drinks, check out {{TwitterMe|BlueSuePremacy}} to see if I'm still around the City. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 11:24, 7 January 2015 (AEDT)
** All users who edit the wiki have agreed to the lca2015 code of conduct and the terms & conditions.
+
** This means your extensions for vandals, and the next list below it isn't needed.
+
 
+
* Use of wiki
+
** The wiki will start to be used more and more the closer we get to the conference. I haven't kept track of how the previous wikis have grown or looked at how often they are used.
+
** After the conference there may be an edit or two to add links to stuff. For example if someone offered to find out about x, they may put the link to the info there etc.
+
** Presenters may also edit it to add links to where the slides are for talks or where the talk videos are.
+
** Attendees sometimes add links to their photos.
+
** The amount of edits and even views on the wiki drops off after conference week.
+
 
+
* If you need to link to lca2015 website, please always use the url with lca2015.linux.org.au. This means when the wiki is archived, along with website, links to the lca2015 website should still work.
+
 
+
Sorry will have to go now. will add mor elater
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
nference
+
website because the people who are able to update the lca conference site are usually too busy during the conference.
+
[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 19:06, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
:Wow, a wiki without the threat of vandals! That will certainly make my life simpler. Thanks for explaining that Lin. Much of my former experience with wiki work has been in defeating spam, carefully patrolling user edits, and defeating spam, with a little bit of templating and categorizing thrown in for good measure, and defeating more spam. I'm looking forward to this spam-free environment. [[User:Augur_.|<font color="#703931">'''ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ'''</font>]][[User_talk:Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2710;</font>]][[Special:Contributions/Augur_.|<font size="4" color="#723a32">&#x2315;</font>]] 19:20, 9 December 2014 (AEDT)
+
 
+
* Media like Video on lca wikis
+
** No videos or sound files are uploaded to the wiki
+
** There will be links to videos + sound files so people know where they are. These are videos of talks or other videos.
+
** Videos are uploaded somewhere like youtube (or vimeo).
+
** The links to those videos are wiki'd so people know where they are. Also aren't always able to put the links on the conference
+
website because the people who are able to update the lca conference site are usually too busy during the conference.
+
** Also won't be unusal if there's a server on campus with the video files so people who wish to down the vids before they head home may do so.
+
** There is also a final repository for all the vids.
+
** I don't think it is wise to have people run videos off the wiki. using youtube for videos means they use another network's infrastructure to cope with space + network.
+
 
+
* Uses of wiki at linux.conf.au
+
** Wiki to help organise events, both official + unofficial.
+
*** If a miniconf or tutorial needs a webpage, they are advised to use the wiki. If they don't wish to use the wiki, there'll be a link from the wiki to the actual miniconf/tutorial webpage. See the current miniconfs page as example. The Open Radio and Astronomy miniconfs are using the wiki for their page. The Sysadmin miniconf and open hardware miniconf have their own page.
+
*** BOFs - Birds of a feather sessions are organised via wiki. This could be BOFs that happen at the scheduled time + place for BOFs or at other times. There's also activity like Yoga, martial arts, running that have BOFs.
+
*** organising social events with other lca attendees. eg lca2014 had an outing to an Indian Ocean swim. There was a whiskey BOF that may or may not have been wiki'd at lca2011 (can't remember). Looks like there's a plan Auckland - Wellington rail trip.
+
*** unPDNS - This is for people who are not going to the Penguin dinner. There's other evenings too and people organise something for that.
+
*** As you see, the Partner's programme has a page in the wiki.
+
 
+
** Wiki as repository of information useful to conference attendees
+
*** This is already happening but may need some help with. I am not sure if anyone is coordinating the stuff. Thing like what mobile networks we have, what sort of plugs + votage for electricity, where to go for emergency info.
+
*** where to eat, drink, play while they are at the conference.  Much of this is by conference attendees.
+
*** what logos of badge mean
+
*** Swag - usually one of the attendees lists out the swag they receive + others add to it. some even take a pic + link to pic. This is mostly done by attendees.
+
 
+
 
+
** Wiki as source of link to info useful to conference attendees.
+
*** links to video, slides, github repos for talks or even for stuff someone is talking about at a BOF or think someon at the conference may find useful.
+
*** Attendees sometimes add a link to where their lca photo album is.
+
 
+
 
+
[[User:Lin Nah|Lin Nah]] ([[User talk:Lin Nah|talk]]) 22:28, 10 December 2014 (AEDT)
+

Latest revision as of 11:24, 7 January 2015

Archive/subpages

Moved my discussions with you off to another page so you can use this for your talk page. I suggest watching the 2 pages above for changes. The 2nd page will be where I leave links for you to put up on the wiki. I don't think I'll need more sub pages but if I do, I'll add to the above list. Lin Nah (talk) 22:42, 14 December 2014 (AEDT)

Sorry Lin, I think we're going to have a problem here. I think it is best if you and I and a third party, such as Cherie, have a face-to-face meetup urgently to discuss some boundaries. Augur . (talk) 05:21, 15 December 2014 (AEDT)
Sorry Augur. I shouldn't have done that. Would it helpf if I revert the edits and return the content back to this talk page? I was merely trying to keep things tidy rather than overstepping my bounds. In retrospect I should have let you do that since it is your talk page and not mine. Again I didn't think of that when I did it. Just wanted 2 areas - one to talk about the wiki and another to leave links and came up with creating 2 pages. My apologies Lin Nah (talk) 18:33, 15 December 2014 (AEDT)
Thanks for that Lin. No need to revert the changes now. I probably would have done something similar soon enough anyway. As you can see, my userspace is being well used for lists and ideas to help create pages of useful info in the main namespace. However, I am concerned that you've archived discussions that were still incomplete. For instance, in reply to your thread Things to look for, I mentioned that I'll be needing some superuser (administrator?) abilities if I am to move/rename pages on the wiki. Threads that are still under active discussion don't normally get archived, even by the named userpace user. I guess we could continue those conversations in situ. This isn't Wikipedia after all, where archives are generally inviolate. Augur . (talk) 19:40, 15 December 2014 (AEDT)
Thanks for being so understanding. I am sure I would have been annoyed myself if it had happened to my talk page in wikipedia because it would be as if someone archived my talked page. It has been my intention to continue discussions there and to catch up with what I insufficiently or didn't reply to. I didn't create those pages to archive the talks. It was to move them somewhere so I didn't mix up the links from the discussion about the wiki. Unfortunately I lacked the energy and did end up going to sleep shortly after creating those pages and did nothing else since. Lin Nah (talk) 19:53, 15 December 2014 (AEDT)

Carpooling

I'll be coming in from Avondale. Haven't decided how yet, but will check in re carpooling closer to the conference.--David Moore (talk) 05:53, 14 December 2014 (AEDT)

I see now you are in Henderson? I think I will just make my own way in. Probably easier. Thanks for offering to carpool though. --David Moore (talk) 05:43, 7 January 2015 (AEDT)
No problems David, I was thinking of traveling along great North Road each day to the City, but if there is anyone wanting a lift from Sunset Lodge Motel as part of my little accom/commute package, then it would make more sense to hop onto the Northwestern Motorway at Te Atatu. If you want a ride home at night after drinks, check out twitter.png @BlueSuePremacy to see if I'm still around the City. ᏜᏠᎶᏠᏑ 11:24, 7 January 2015 (AEDT)